Disney has announced two new events for the 2014 Marathon Weekend. And given all the activity that happen, calling it a “marathon weekend” isn’t really fair since the events happen over a full five days this year, from January 8-12, 2014.
The first new event is a 10K race, called the “Minnie”. At 6.2 miles, a 10k race is a very popular event at many races, and many fans have wondered if Disney would add this to the lineup. Now it has.
The second new event is not for the faint of heart. Those who run all four events (5k, 10k, Half Marathon, AND Full Marathon) for a mind-blowing 48.6 miles over four days will be officially declared as Dopey. And they will have definitely earned the title. These athletes will earn six finisher medals – one for each of the four events, plus a medal for the Goofy and the Dopey.
Based on what we know right now, the primary set of events for 2014 looks like this:
- Family Fun Run: 5K (3.1 miles)
- Minnie Run: 10K (6.2 miles)
- Donald / Walt Disney World Half Marathon: 13.1 miles (21K)
- Mickey / Walt Disney World Marathon: 26.2 miles (42.1K)
- Goofy: Race And A Half Challenge (half marathon plus full marathon): 39.3 miles (63.2K)
- Dopey: Run the Family Fun Run, Minnie, Donald, and Mickey: 48.6 miles (78.2K)
Disney also plans to keep Kids Races and the Mickey Mile so that young runners can join in the fun.
To deal with the new schedule the races are now scheduled as follows – which is an adjustment from past years:
- Wednesday, January 8: Free Health And Fitness Expo at the ESPN Wide World Of Sports Complex
- Thursday, January 9: Family Fun Run 5K
- Friday, January 10: Minnie 10K
- Saturday, January 11: Donald Half Marathon
- Sunday, January 12: Mickey Full Marathon
- Dopey, Goofy & Mickey Marathon: 18 years or older
- Donald Half Marathon: 14 years or older
- Minnie 10K: 10 years or older
- Family Fun Run 5K: All ages, and each participant must be able to complete the run on their own
Disney will offer character breakfast events after the Family Fun Run on Thursday and the Minnie 10K on Friday.
They will also pasta parties, for all your carbohydrate loading needs, and a Cool Down party on Sunday at Disney Springs.
Online registration begins on April 9, 2013.
What do you think about the new runDisney events?